12.07.2005

Creepy

I have started to see these placards on my way to work that advertise DCsingles.org. I currently have very little to do at work, so I thought I would check it out.

When you load the page, there is a registration form that you must fill out before you can presumably look at the personals. The weird thing is that they require you to give a daytime and a nighttime telephone number in order to register, and then ask for the best time to contact you. And while I am all for looking at personals and judging people to kill time at work, this is a little creepy.

Also some of the boxes you can use to describe yourself are a bit curious as well. Like, "I am dating someone who has different goals than me."

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:35 PM

    If you want to judge somebody I recommend Hot or Not, it's fun and not at all harmless, people log in obsessively to check their scores. Friendster and Myspace are also pretty fun and for God's sake Charles can you please put a goddamn space between "links to this post" and "x comments" FINALLY, finally, finally you fucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger is responsible for the whole links comments debacle, and I don't know how to fix it. I suggest that you learn to live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:09 PM

    That's not blogger's fault, you can fix it by explicitly stating the entire link
    http://www.hotornot.com
    see, jerk?, I was just lazy and didn't preview my shitty comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:54 PM

    Agreed on the creepy part 100%. I've seen other similar signs on the Dulles toll road for 'restonsingles.org'/'herndondates.org' or similar (didn't write them down, so the URLs might be different).

    I can't figure out what's going on, but do not trust any of them; no details on the home page, only want information, heavy advertising in the use of garbage signs along the on/off ramps (dulles toll road), using .ORG extention when it looks and smells either commercial or possibly criminal.

    Your post was the only one I've found so far discussing it. Everything else is a 'parked domain addvertisement'...not getting warm fuzzies about that. Very very odd.

    I can be reached if you want using the com domain named metamark, using any user name (it's my domain and I'm the only person using it). Just use a topic that I won't mistake for spam.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you set out to make me think today; mission accomplished! I really like your writing style and how you express your ideas. Thank you. ghost adventures

    ReplyDelete