7.18.2005

All Apologies to Mr. Zimmerman

I have been thinking about lyrics, specifically why I write such terrible lyrics. I realized that I think the problem is that I don't really listen to lyrics. Now, there are lots of songs that I can, well I will use the word sing for lack of a better term. The thing is that a voice is just an instrument as far as I am concerned. So when I listen to the vocal line of a song, all that I hear are tone, pitch, and sound, and the words are the sound. So while I can “sing” a lot of songs, I have no idea what any of them are about. For example, while I love the sound of the lines,


“The ghost of 'lectricity howls in the bones of her face
Where these Visions of Johanna have now taken my place”


I have never really spent anytime searching for the meaning behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment