3.01.2006

Losers!

The first sporting event I remember going to was a Capitals game when I was 8 or 9. After that game, I was hooked and became a huge Capitals fan. They were my favorite sports team in Elementary School. When the Caps made the playoffs, I would watch the games with a little shrine of pennants and pucks, including one signed by Pete Peeters! My mother grew to hate the Capitals because they made me cry when they lost in the playoffs. Hey, I also cried when Optimus Prime died in the Transformers movie, I am sensitive, BACK OFF.

Over time, I started to pay less and less attention to the Capitals. I guess my heart just couldn't take the abuse. I still root for them, but I don't really pay attention anymore. I saw this post on DCist today, and was shocked to learn that the Caps are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs with 1/3 of the season left to play. Everyone makes the playoffs in Hockey, I would be surprised if Hamilton's hockey team had been eliminated from the NHL playoffs. Seriously, 16 teams, out of 30, make the playoffs. They shouldn't even call it a post-season given how easy it is to make it. The Capitals are eliminated with a third of the season left, and more than half of the total teams in the league continuing on to the playoffs. It is one of the saddest things I have read in a while. They are not a good hockey team, or even a mediocre hockey team.

So I guess it is good that I moved on. Yup, good thing the Nationals are here, no chance for heartbreak there.

No comments:

Post a Comment